Oil Leak - Replace the CCV vortex with a felt filter?

HOV

I have had my E90 320d for a considerable period of time, and it has consistently experienced an oil leakage issue.

Primarily, the intake manifold is located below the coolant flange and above the starting motor. There is a small reservoir located at the top of the engine near the CCV. If a boost hose is not securely fastened, it will leak from that location and also from the EGR delete if it is not correctly installed.

A mechanic acquaintance of mine assured me not to be concerned, as this behaviour is common among vehicles. Therefore, when I do maintenance on it, I typically tidy up the untidiness.

Over the years, I have made many replacements of the vortex breather in an attempt to prevent this issue, but it continues to reoccur.

I regularly need to replenish the oil, since the oil level drops from the maximum to the minimum mark on the dipstick every 2,000 miles.

Is it advisable to revert to the previous toilet paper filter design, despite its negative reputation, which is mostly attributed to inadequate maintenance?

If I want to use the toilet roll felt filter, do I just need the filter itself? Will it be compatible with my existing CCV housing?

Indeed, I remember that. The first item I read does not mention the need for a new house on the M57. I assume that my M47 is constructed in a similar manner.

The transition from using toilet roll in the E39 and E46 to vortex in 2005 in the E90 and E60, and then omitting it entirely in the last technological upgrade of the M57.

I think that the N47 and 57 engines are equipped with a double vortex system.

Have you reverted to using toilet paper for one of your bowel movements?

If you did, did you ultimately retain it or revert back to the vortex? Several individuals have reported that reverting to using toilet paper has resulted in a significant increase in central venous pressure.

The outcome seems to be unfavourable.

I regularly monitored the oil level and found that it had remained unchanged. However, I did not specifically inspect the engine compartment for this purpose.

Performed maintenance on the vehicle last Saturday and have since noticed a significant oil leak around the EGR, which is a new issue. The leakage occurred only via the manifold when the vortex breather was installed. The toilet paper filter was rather clean, with little oiliness but without any significant blockage.

What is the reason for a leak in the EGR while installing the toilet paper breather?

Oil found underneath the intake manifold and in the starting region is often the result of leaks caused by worn swirl flaps or failing seals on the deletion plugs. However, the source of the oil remains unknown. The condensed crankcase vapour has entered the intake tract via the breather and has been distributed throughout the turbo, intercooler, and manifold. Both kinds of breathers become inefficient when the engine accumulates mileage and blowby occurs, leading to the entry of gases into the crankcase. If I were attempting to address the underlying source of the leak, I would consider installing a catch can.

Indeed, it seems that the only viable option is to fabricate a catch can, similar to what others have accomplished with the M57 engines.

I found it intriguing that oil began to emerge abruptly from the intercooler to EGR connection. Previously, it was only the manifold.

Could an accumulation of crank pressure be the cause?

The turbo will create greater pressure than the crankcase, thus it is important to inspect the rubber elbow below for any cracks. In the case of the m57, it is known to break at that location and cause oil to spray over the alternator.