Which is the better choice for a sport suspension on a CLS - OEM or Bilstein?

Greetings,

I own a 2013 CLS 250 CDI shooting brake. The V5 document identifies it as an AMG performance model. In my opinion, the shocks seem to be worn out, much like the rest of the chassis. Additionally, they see a need for rejuvenation.

I had difficulty in finding matching part numbers for the present shocks on several parts sources. However, while visiting mbepc.net, I discovered that the component numbers I possess are not listed for my car's sport or normal suspension. It seems that someone has substituted them with more pliable versions, either to economise or enhance comfort. The front suspension exhibits a considerable amount of softness, resulting in noticeable diving while braking or traversing speed bumps. Through the process of cross-referencing the component numbers, I have determined that the front suspension is a Sachs model, while the rear suspension is a Bilstein B4.

Although I am not typically an enthusiastic driver, I believe it would be beneficial to replace my current springs with ones that are compatible with AMG reduced springs in order to get optimal performance. MB provided a cost of £950 for the purchase of all four dampers, however I can get the appropriate shocks from Bilstein for about £850.

The decision at hand is whether to choose the Bilstein B8/6 shocks or the OEM sport shocks. Has anybody experienced driving both vehicles?

I would classify your automobile as an AMG Line model, which has a superficial resemblance to the authentic AMG variation.
Are you certain that you have installed the AMG reduced springs that you mentioned?
To verify the specifications, enter the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) into a decoding website like mbepc.net.

I installed Bilstein coil-overs on my C270cdi, which already had the factory-installed Sports lowered suspension. The ride was enhanced, becoming more regulated, smoother, and less prone to bouncing and excessive rebound.
If you want to purchase non-OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) parts, I would suggest acquiring the corresponding springs and shocks.

The B4 shocks are original equipment (OE) and have been somewhat improved. They are really used as original equipment on certain Mercedes vehicles, and there is even a unique dual-rate B4 DampMatic® variant available.

B6 has been enhanced and B8 is a condensed iteration of B6.

I have just installed new shock absorbers on my E350 CDI, which has a similar configuration to your vehicle. I installed Bilstein B4 shocks and they perform quite well. Excellent journey and commendable calmness. Significantly more affordable as well. They are the only thing you need, believe me.

I have just installed new shock absorbers on my E350 CDI, which has a similar configuration to your vehicle. I installed Bilstein B4 shocks and they perform quite well. Excellent journey and commendable calmness. Significantly more affordable as well. They are the only thing you need, believe me.

By what means? I anticipated better manoeuvrability, and I am concerned about the noticeable decrease in comfort.

The car is an estate model, sometimes known as a shooting brake. While I have the ability to replace the springs in the front of the car, the back springs are really airbags. The spring rate of these airbags is pre-set and controlled by the car's computer system.

I cannot provide assurance that these are the authentic originals. The shocks do not seem to be original, suggesting that someone may have replaced both of them. There are many springs mentioned in mbepc, each marked with various colours. Therefore, I will need to verify and determine which one I own.

The connection to the VIN decoder is intriguing. The text mentions 'comfort running gear' first, but later on, it also includes the 'AMG SPORT PACKAGE'.

The AMG sport package is included in the original pricing list with the following information

When I entered my vehicle and engine details into mbepc, I saw that sport suspension was displayed as an option. This suggests that my car is not being mistaken for the genuine AMG 63 model. I informed Bilstein about my possession of sports suspension, and as a result, they provided me with B8 component numbers.

I own the E/S/M button, as well as vented discs, however I am aware that these components are not original.

Upon additional research, it has been suggested that it is possible to choose the AMG Sport package and subsequently choose the comfort suspension package. That might explain why the VIN decoder indicates 485 for comfort running gear instead of 486 for sport. If the value 485 is accurate, then the corresponding component number is A 218 323 15 00 as stated by mbepc, which aligns with B4s according to Autodoc.

This is great news since they are much more affordable.

Upon closer examination of the booklet, I discovered that the option for comfort suspension is available for the AMG sport model, and its corresponding code is really 485, thereby resolving any confusion. Someone opted for the AMG sport pack on the vehicle and subsequently lowered the suspension, which is the only component that really has a significant impact. They spent £3k on a distinct front bumper, narrow tyres, and floor mats, which seems peculiar to me 🙂

Based on this information, I placed an order for B4s with confidence, since they seem to be the correct length, with a little margin of error. They provide somewhat more cushioning on uneven surfaces, but the difference is not significant, but they still need to be worn in. The damping has been improved, exhibiting more compression. Consequently, it no longer experiences excessive downward movement while traversing speed bumps or during braking. In addition, when cornering, the body roll is more gradual as a result of increased compression damping, which is rather pleasant. I will drive several hundred miles to assess the extent of the overall improvement in comfort. Although still fairly sporty, the car provides a pleasant driving experience, which is just what I like in a vehicle of this kind.

The previous shocks exhibited a significantly reduced level of smoothness throughout the process of removing them from the automobile. The shafts emitted a high-pitched sound - it seems that a certain coating may have worn off, since they lacked the smoothness of the fresh ones when touched. Perhaps the loss of gas pressure occurred due to the little return of the shaft after compression.

I believe that spending £400 on a high-quality automobile is a wise investment that will provide satisfaction for a considerable period of time. Before undertaking the task, ensure that you possess a 21mm pass-through socket and a sufficiently long T45 Torx bit to remove the top nut from the shaft on the front. Once the spring has been crushed with compressors, naturally!