Problems with the Ignition System

Flexfer

Greetings,

I have lately acquired a 2001 Mazda Familia equipped with a 2-liter engine. The issue at hand pertains to the observation that when initiating the vehicle's ignition, the idling process proceeds in a satisfactory and seamless way. However, upon promptly depressing and thereafter releasing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle's response is immediate but lacks smoothness. At the initiation, there will be a perceptible moment during which the engine's operation may seem momentarily impeded, followed by a subsequent resumption of regular revving. A similar outcome might be seen when water infiltrates the electrical connectors subsequent to an engine cleaning process. An intriguing observation is that this behavior only occurs while the vehicle is in the Park or Neutral gear. The lack of perceptibility is evident while the vehicle is in the Drive mode.

On a certain occasion, my spouse contacted me to express dissatisfaction with the perceived loss of power and noticeable vibrations experienced in the automobile. I contacted the automotive technician, who advised me to replace the plug wires due to the issue of the leads sliding through the boots. I made the decision to replace the plugs as well. However, despite my acquisition of a set of Prestolite plug wires and NGK spark plugs, regrettably, the issue persists. On some occasions, the automobile operates well, but on others, it exhibits a noticeable vibration and reduced power output.

I conducted a study investigation to ascertain the method for determining the operational status of all cylinders, since I had a suspicion that one or more cylinders were not functioning optimally. During the most recent occurrence of the problem, I opted to do a diagnostic test on the cylinders by sequentially detaching one coil pack at a time. Upon disconnecting the coil pack located on the passenger side of the engine, it was observed that the vehicle's idle remained same, characterized by roughness and vibration. Conversely, upon reconnecting the aforementioned coil pack and disconnecting the coil pack on the opposite side, the engine ceased to function and failed to restart. I conducted coil repositioning in order to ascertain if the issue originated from the connection or the coil. However, the results consistently aligned with the coil that was initially situated on the passenger side.

Based on the aforementioned test, it is evident that the coil on the passenger side is faulty. Is it possible to do a coil test with a multimeter? What outcomes should I anticipate? Is it common for these coils to exhibit intermittent problems throughout the failure process? What is the reason for the intermittent functionality of the coil?

I would want to express my gratitude in advance for any assistance that may be provided.

It is necessary to get a testing instrument. The object in question has resemblance to an ice pick, with a transparent handle housing a metallic component inside, specifically composed of lead. Connect the lead to the ground, insert the pick end into the boot, and see if the light flashes, indicating the firing of the coil.

When using a genuine analog meter, the needle will exhibit movement upon activation. I have not personally seen any instances of coil packs malfunctioning, with the exception of occurrences reported in relation to Ford vehicles. Nevertheless, in the event that the engine operates intermittently, it is unlikely that the issue may be attributed to a faulty coil pack. In addition, it should be noted that you replaced it with a different one.

Have you thoroughly reviewed my first submission? In summary, the problem manifests whether the suspicious coil is placed on any cylinder, indicating that the coil in question is likely defective. The secondary coil will initiate the ignition process of the vehicle, although with noticeable vibrations, since only two cylinders are actively combusting fuel. When just the suspected problematic coil is attached, the car does not start.

Please go to the last portion of my previous message to ascertain the nature of my inquiry. I explicitly said that I did not inquire about the potential faultiness of the coil. I am inquiring about methods to assess the functionality of a coil using a multimeter, with the intention of comparing it to a known functional coil.The individual in question persistently argues in favor of the coil's lack of fault, a diagnostic approach that I consider to be lacking in effectiveness, despite my prior explanation of my activities. Nevertheless, I have already procured two replacement coils, and so, I express my gratitude for the absence of assistance provided.

The 1998 Mazda LX Protege had a sudden occurrence when the engine light and brake light illuminated simultaneously, accompanied by the presence of grinding noises from the braking system. I turned off my vehicle and attempted to initiate its ignition, but encountered a failure in starting the engine. Upon investigation, it was discovered that a 15 amp engine control fuse had been blown. Subsequently, an examination was conducted on several components including the fuel pump, timing belt, mass air sensor, and distributor. Despite these efforts, the 15 amp fuse continued to malfunction repeatedly. I am experiencing a state of confusion since I am unable to identify the underlying issue. Are there any responses available?

At what juncture does the fuse get disrupted? The task of locating it will be incumbent upon you. In the event that the key switch is activated and the fuse has a malfunction, it is advisable to disconnect the end devices that are being powered by the fuse. Next, activate the key and proceed to connect the end devices one by one until the fuse is blown, indicating the presence of a short circuit either inside the device itself or in the cabling leading to it.

Are you aware of the specific electrical component or system that is powered by the aforementioned fuse? If that is the case, I would recommend disconnecting all devices that are powered by it. Then, with the key in the on position, proceed to connect each of those end devices one by one until the specific device that causes the fuse to blow is identified. Proceeding from that point