There is a ticking or tapping noise coming from my CDI w210.

Greetings once again,

I have came across several discussions on the ticking/tapping sounds originating from the upper section of the w210 straight six diesel engines.

I have a similar noise in my vehicle. It occurs when the engine is cold and seems to diminish while the engine is under strain, only to reoccur when the throttle is balanced. The noise does not appear to vary in pitch or speed in relation to the engine's RPM.

I have recently performed the B service on my own, using Q8 synthetic oil, a new oil filter, diesel filter, and a new air filter.
The ticking noise persists, but it is not as prominent. I find it rather bothersome, while I acknowledge that it is a minor annoyance considering the excellent performance of the vehicle. It is perplexing because the noise disappears when the car's hood is open, making it difficult to pinpoint its source.
Thank you

Does it produce a loud tapping sound similar to a tappet rattle?
I had a similar issue and attempted all suggested solutions. Eventually, I discovered that the timing chain had skipped a tooth on the cam pulley, resulting in correct timing for the crank and pump.
Modified it and eliminated the rattling noise.

Indeed, it is most probable that the ticking/tapping noises are a result of the injectors being obstructed. Liqui Moly offers a solution called Diesel Purge, which is a specifically designed liquid that is directly injected into the injectors via the fuel pipe lines, rather than being added to the fuel tank. This approach is recognised for its superior efficacy, since the engine only operates on the liquid rather than the fuel. The outcomes have elicited satisfaction from several individuals.

Please provide updates on the situation. The item may be bought on eBay. Several instructional films demonstrating the process may also be found on YouTube. and many individuals have their own unique methods of doing it.

Over the course of several kilometres, I have had this issue with my E220 CDI. Despite attempting remedies such as using injector cleaning and changing filters, there has been no discernible improvement. It is peculiar, but fortunately, it does not seem to have any negative impact on the vehicle's performance. There is no need to be concerned.

Typically, fuel additives that are added to the tank do not effectively resolve issues like tapping noises. Their primary purpose is to maintain a well-functioning and clean fuel system when utilised consistently from the beginning. Therefore, if additives are not utilised consistently, the injectors are prone to become obstructed, which is why they likely need direct treatment, in my opinion 🙂

After adding a whole bottle of Redex snake oil to my diesel tank when it was half full, I drove largely short distances with breaks. I then refilled the tank halfway and repeated the process. As a result, the Redex has now been completely utilised throughout the system.

I have seen a significant disparity in the ticking sound. In fact, I can confidently state that the sound was initially a tapping noise. Currently, I only experience a ticking noise during the engine's warm-up phase, and it diminishes considerably after the engine is completely warmed up.
I have just purchased a bottle of BG 244 diesel injector cleaning, which was somewhat expensive. After extensively searching the internet, I have found that this product has a large and enthusiastic fan base. I have not come across any discussions that criticise its performance; in fact, all the threads I found unanimously praise its effectiveness and confirm that it lives up to its claims.
Typically, I am rather cautious about spending money on products that are often referred to as ineffective remedies. However, even the Redex fuel additive seems to have had a noticeable impact. The previously observed emissions of smoke during acceleration have vanished, and the engine now operates noticeably more smoothly.
I intended to use Sea Foam in my vehicle, but I was deterred by the YouTube videos showing automobiles emitting white smoke from their exhaust pipes.

Has anybody have any firsthand experience with either BG244 or Sea Foam?

I have used BG244 on several occasions across various vehicles, and it has consistently shown excellent performance. I saw a significant improvement in the performance of my wife's X type vehicle, as it effectively reduced the emission of smoke during acceleration.

I have just purchased the BG244 and have added it to my vehicle's fuel tank, along with around 75% of a tank of diesel purchased from Morrisons. After driving the vehicle for a distance of 10 miles in order to facilitate the circulation of the product throughout the system, I have observed that the noise produced by the engine has actually increased in volume.

Last week, my wife borrowed the car for two days and filled it with £60 worth of diesel from a non-Morrisons station. I am now curious whether the decrease in noise was due to the Redex additive or the use of different diesel. It is interesting to note that the noise increased again after refilling with diesel from Morrisons.

In all honesty, I believe I may be too meticulous since I am not experiencing any issues with the vehicle's operation. There is no smoke during startup or regular operation, and only a little quantity is emitted for a brief while when I engage the kickdown.
I will update you all on the efficacy of BG244 in approximately one week. To achieve optimal results, it must be used in stop-start or short journey scenarios, as I have been informed. I must mention that when I added BG244 to my fuel tank, it had a highly distinctive solvent-like odour and a semi-oil consistency, unlike any other product I have used.

Thank you for recommending the Liqui Moly cleaner. I considered using it, but I am hesitant to attempt the direct technique on my vehicle, which has accumulated 195,000 miles. Instead, I have decided to try the alternative way that is highly recommended by everyone on the internet.

Can we see the progress and outcome?

Many strands sometimes leave you in a state of suspense. It is likely that most people have sold their Mercedes cars and moved on to other vehicles. It might be irritating, but sometimes you gain knowledge as you go.