Unfinished Maintenance. Need Help Figuring This Out.

torque2me

My W205 C220d's air conditioner has ceased functioning. When the air conditioner was on, it made a ticking sound. The left-side (behind the glove box) air conditioning actuator mixer motor flashed a warning light when I connected to the vehicle. Increasing the thermostat setting had no effect, and air from each vent had a different temperature. Both maximum heat and maximum cold were available from the left vents. I also hooked up the AC and discovered the gas was running low.

I made the reservation at Mercedes. After discussing my results, I saw whether the motor for the blender/actuator was available. It was. Great. I requested that they have the component on hand and use the error message as a guide.

In the present. No one has called me to give me an update. No unauthorized work is to be done, as I have often indicated. For over a decade, I have relied on this service center with no issues.

What you're claiming is that 'all they did' was re-gas the air conditioning and perhaps charge you for their own Star diagnostic.

If that's the case, I'm not sure what legal standing you'd have to demand that they 'repair it' for free. I don't see why they should replade it for free if their diagnostic indicated that the actuator needed to be replaced and you didn't pay them to do so. Or am I missing anything here?

If all they did was regas it, then surely they didn't undertake any unauthorized work.After most AC maintenance, I anticipate the system will need a regas. If that's all they did, the final tab couldn't have been that high, could it? I'm certain that if you go back and calmly make your case, you'll be able to resolve the situation with little hassle.

Deleted because a speedier typist beat me to it!

Yes, we gave them the component numbers and asked that the broken one be replaced. Instead, they filled up the gas tank. The two components work together closely. It's impossible for STAR to overlook it. When I relayed the situation to another dealership's service staff, they were more than happy to double-check the STAR results.

I've had time to collect my thoughts. Simply said, it's quite annoying. That's ignoring a customer's request, skimping on STAR training, and working without permission.

This old garage is history now. In the past, I've received a phone call asking for my approval before any work was started. You can't just recharge someone's AC, assure them there are no problems, and then hand them a bill. In particular, please get in touch with me before beginning any work. It's not permitted, period. This is a guarantee made on their website to customers.
Sure, it won't leave you destitute. £200. The most costly fill-up in the world. The system wasn't totally dead or depleted. Their aim was off.
I finally gave up yesterday after many phone calls explaining the confusion and conflicting details. They disregarded obvious evidence of something being true. As a gesture of goodwill, they offered to run another diagnostic on the problem at no cost. To what end? The issue has been laid out for you. Even with the heat on, you failed to double-check the air conditioner. After much back-and-forth, I finally resolved to either handle the situation on my own or go elsewhere for a dealer. In any case, I have had enough of this particular support center. We used to have a hot customer service department. Always. Since the top talent departed, things have degenerated.

This is ridiculous behavior from a Main Dealer, but it's not unexpected; if customers continue to put up with poor service, Main Dealers will continue to provide it. They heard you loud and clear, yet they still chose the fast in-and-out (non)fix and the hefty price above doing what you asked.

First, you may lodge a formal complaint with Mercedes Customer Service; second, you can leave a scathing review of the company on Google, which will be viewed by everyone (including Mercedes CS); third, you can visit MCOL - Money Claim Online - Welcome and file a claim for a refund.

Recently, I was able to get rid of this incredibly costly garbage by leaving a positive comment on Google. Have a good time and report back....

You can only rely on a chain as much as its weakest link. Even if just one employee failed to pass along your message, the whole organization will be tarnished if they did not.
Mistakes are made, and not everyone is as careful as they should be. NOT an explanation, but reality imposed itself.

However, I believe that a company's true character may be shown in how they react after an error of this kind.
The right strategy is. As soon as they accept responsibility, they act as rapidly as they reasonably can to make things right.
The dealership's apparent failure in that regard is totally intolerable.

You might try appealing your case higher up. -Someone in the company will (or should) prioritize the happiness of its clientele.

I've had two C207s and been very satisfied with each one.

My buddy has a great connection with his local BMW dealer, but he's been thinking about making a switch. Keep still, I said, and he complied. It's unfortunate that, contrary to people' experiences on this site, not all Mercedes dealers are as good as the one I use.