Self-replacement of a battery

This weekend, I will be changing the primary battery on the CLS. Is it necessary to maintain a consistent 12 volt direct current (DC) power supply to the battery leads during the switch over process in order to prevent any loss of system memories? I own an excess 12-volt motorbike battery that I might perhaps use.

It is vital to note that after the slave battery has been attached, the main leads remain operational. Therefore, while disengaging the main battery, it is crucial to ensure that the battery leads do not come into contact with any significant objects, whether they are located on the vehicle or on the user. In the past, I had a bite from a fully charged heavy duty Land Rover battery, resulting in enduring physical scars.

What was the cause of such occurrence?...the voltage is merely 12 volts, which is insufficient to cause an electric shock. Applying pressure to each terminal will not elicit any sensation, unless you are manipulating a live ignition coil, which produces a little stinging sensation owing to the presence of several thousand volts. If one were to make contact with a live terminal at the location where it was shorting to the earthed body, it is possible that experiencing pain may arise as a result of the heat created.

Excellent video. It is advantageous to maintain a stationary camera position while demonstrating the procedure.

Nevertheless, I would like to provide a few suggestions that will ensure that several settings remain identical, eliminating the need for re-entry after a battery replacement.
The following method is used only at the MB authorised workshop, where I seek guidance and have my vehicle undergo its yearly maintenance.

Please do not interpret this as a critique. A cordial remark.

1. Unseal the driver side window and maintain its bottom position.
2. Proceed to access the hood or baggage compartment housing the battery.
Please ensure that all doors are closed. Secure the vehicle and relocate any key-less key at a considerable distance from it.
4. Allow the automobile to enter sleep-mode after a period of 30 minutes.
In accordance with the video, proceed to replace the battery.

Removing the driver side window is necessary in the event that the automobile loses the key code setting. This allows for manual opening of the door from the inside, enabling the key transponder to establish a connection with the ignition system.
The operation is recommended, maybe due to previous "accidents" that occurred in Mercedes automobiles. While it may not be relevant to modern models, it is advisable to keep this information in mind.

Furthermore, enabling the vehicle to enter sleep mode ensures that all window settings are preserved without requiring recalibration.

Upon replacing the batteries in my C207, I proceeded to remove and check the bottom plate. During this process, I saw a significant accumulation of "vegetation" that had accumulated over time, obstructing the drainage. Upon the completion of the dirt removal process, it was seen that a bolt used for the lower plate was positioned just above one of the AC aluminium tubes.
When reassembling the bottom plate after removing all the debris, it is necessary to use the bolt that is shorter.

Examining the Rover After a day of exploring a route for a scheduled rig relocation in Baluchistan (Pakistan), I accidentally swung a wrench over the +ve, my metal watch strap, and a section of the automobile. This caused a loud spark and profanity as the watch strap had welded shut and felt like it was burning through my wrist. Used a screwdriver to remove the strap and remove the watch from one of the boys. He had a sensation of coldness. There are two little circular scars on the inside of the left wrist that are still partially visible today. These scars occurred in 1975.

Upon replacing the batteries in my 2012 C-class, I did not affix any additional components. I completed the transfer in under one minute without any loss, including the radio code. The systems have enough capacitance for short-term storage.