Advanced driver assistance systems

No, Lane Keep Assist cannot be permanently deactivated since it is a mandatory safety function in accordance with Euro ENCAP/EU regulations. The option to disable it is only available for each individual journey.

Indeed, I do not encounter any problems with the system on the motorways, where it is specifically designed for. However, I strongly dislike its persistent pulling effect when driving on narrow A roads. Frankly, I find it quite hazardous in such situations. Consequently, I deactivate the system every time I start the car and only activate it on motorways as a precautionary measure in case I become drowsy and unintentionally doze off.

It resembles a collection of 'safety' precautions devised by NCAP, which are very beneficial in the specific situations they are intended for. However, NCAP fails to thoroughly consider all the consequences before urging countries to adopt them. One current topic of discussion is the implementation of speed limiters in the Euro Zone starting in July. While this may seem beneficial, it relies heavily on accurate technological information, such as map data, to function properly. However, we are well aware that this data is often incorrect, which means it is highly likely that the system may allow you to exceed the speed limit when you shouldn't. This could lead to situations where you end up driving slowly on the motorway, causing frustration for trucks and potentially causing traffic congestion as they try to overtake you at a speed of 60 mph. However, I suppose that may be considered development.

I will continue to use my "basic" 12-year-old Sportage. I have rented two contemporary vehicles equipped with these assistance features and I really dislike them. At the age of 73, I may only be able to sustain my physical and mental faculties until my "sensors" cease to function.

Prior to each voyage, we deactivate the Lane Keep Assist feature. Since the closest motorway is located 130 miles from us, it is not necessary for our use. Not all A roads are winding rural roads. The majority of primary highways consist of very straight single carriageways, sometimes with slight curves. It is perilous when the car's steering pulls, since it requires exerting force in the opposite direction to correct it. When the vehicle is in operation, as a passenger, you may perceive a lateral swaying motion, similar to being on a ship, even if the speed is not very high.

I reside in Surrey, which is characterised by a mix of narrow roads and towns.
Initially, when I acquired this vehicle, the LA often pulled. However, after a little while, I saw a significant decrease in the occurrence of pulling.
Whether my driving has improved or I am just not seeing any deviations, I cannot ascertain. I have consistently kept LA activated and I can confidently state that I do not see it as obstructive.

Thank you for the responses. All of these features could be deactivated on my prior vehicle. I see the majority of them as being more of an obstacle rather than an assistance. While driving, if you hear a beep, you must divert your attention from the road in order to identify the issue. My son, who is a mechanic, believes he can disable them for me, so that is the next action I plan to take.

Best of luck in deactivating any devices that emit a bleeping sound. The Xceed emits audible signals for several reasons, all of which are justified, even if their purpose may not be immediately apparent. I see them as an opportunity for personal growth and development. The only obstacle so far is the LKA.

My device emits frequent beeps accompanied by rapid warnings that I am unable to perceive due to their brevity. Given that I have successfully operated a vehicle for an extended period of time without the use of these particular items, I believe it is prudent for me to continue in this manner.