"PCM Reprogramming Campaign" in 2018?

motorman3

In August, I received a letter concerning this.

"The most recent and enhanced engine calibration software must now be installed in your car. Additionally, software will be loaded to improve the accelerator responsiveness and reduce engine noise.

This smells like Dieselgate; Mazda won't be giving away an improved accelerator response or quieter engine for free, will they? Has this been done by anybody else?

If you think it would damage your automobile, you are under no obligation to do it. There was some (doubtful) evidence that VW automobiles were worse off for it.

You may hold out and see if the same thing occurs with Mazda vehicles. However, such proof will be more difficult to come by given Mazda's lower volume of vehicle sales.

You may relax knowing that Mazda Europe is handling all of your correspondence following the Brexit. After that time, they could start charging for it or stop doing it altogether.

The software probably won't make the vehicle worse, given Mazda was never officially detected cheating. You may forget about it and let the future owner figure out what to do with the automobile if you do not intend to retain it for a while.

Hello, I got the update mail and proceeded with noting my MPG over the last 200 miles as well as the previous trip displaying 3000+ miles, and now with the upgrade I am getting better MPG over around town driving since I have not carried out any lengthy excursions after the update:)

On October 22nd, I was sent a letter informing me of a safety recall, which may or may not be linked.

"This recall campaign requires the powertrain control module fitted to your vehicle to be reprogrammed in order to protect your engine from developing a fuel injector fault, which may in turn lead to the engine stalling"... "This recall campaign is designed to protect your engine from developing a fuel injector fault, which may in turn lead to the engine stalling."

"While the aforementioned work is being carried out, the very latest and improved engine calibration software can now be installed on your vehicle. This will improve the way that your engine operates and will improve the NVH/noise refinement characteristics of the engine itself."

The work is scheduled to be completed in a couple of weeks ac

I had this done on my 2014 diesel before heading up to Aberdeen and back, with a stop in Shetland in between.
Even on lengthy steady drives at 70mph utilising cruise control, the fuel consumption was greater than projected; moreover, the frequency of DPF regeneration increased, assisting and abetting the bad fuel consumption.
So nobody knows what went wrong with this software upgrade. I've also noted that the oil level has risen after barely 2k miles since the servicing.
This automobile is also needed to have the injectors removed for cleaning and retorqueing, according to the Vosa webpage on recalls, however this was not done during the service. I received the sense that dealers only remove the injectors if they detect one blowing, by which point the lubricating fluid and the rest of the engine have been damaged.
Vosa - Vin numbers 105 981 - 347 652 (the final six digits of your vin) are listed as 'injector nuts' (incorrectly tightened at the factory). R/2018/259
                                                                                                                                     R/2018/288 Fuel Injector Software

These are the Vosa numbers; they all fall under the Mazda number AJ 0024*, followed by A to E depending on the SSP.
Mazda Japan issued this recall a year ago, hence Mazda Europe/UK has been slow to respond.

That's the website, and if you input your vehicle registration number, you can see whether there are any open recalls and when your MOT is due. After the dealership enters the information into the system, there will be no recalls shown under Reg.
I see that you don't have a Gen 3 vehicle, to which this recall pertains.

If you go to the website's bottom of page 4 and change the construction date to 2013 and the recall date to November 2018, you should see relevant information.

16 minutes ago, ElectricEclipse said:

In August, I received a letter concerning this.

"The most recent and enhanced engine calibration software must now be installed in your car. Additionally, software will be loaded to improve the accelerator responsiveness and reduce engine noise.

This smells like Dieselgate; Mazda won't be giving away an improved accelerator response or quieter engine for free, will they? Has this been done by anybody else?

Yes, I purportedly had it done on a 2014 while in for service. I cannot say it improved performance or mpg compared to the same time last year when I was touring, or, in other words, driving lengthy distances on the highway.
In my opinion, it is somewhat self-defeating to reduce emissions if fuel economy suffers as a result.
I will have to revert to Shell V or BP Ultra to determine if the fuel economy improves.

Has anyone else noticed a decline since the PCM upgrade?
In addition to reseating them with new washers and the correct torque, they were supposed to inspect the injectors that were leaking. They wait until it occurs, causes engine damage, and then expect you to pay for repairs.