Are there any issues associated with continuously variable transmission (CVT) systems?

WanderlustGuru

I just acquired a 2010 A4/CVT automobile. The vehicle in question has accumulated a mileage of just 600 kilometers, although it has shown issues pertaining to its rolling capabilities. When situated on a gentle slope and with the foot on the brake pedal while the vehicle is in drive mode, releasing the brake causes the car to exhibit a forceful backward rolling motion, akin to the behavior of a manual transmission vehicle in neutral. During my recent experience, I found myself situated in a parking space characterized by a gentle incline. Upon engaging the reverse gear and afterwards releasing the brake pedal, I saw that the vehicle unexpectedly moved in a forward direction, so posing a potential collision risk with another nearby vehicle. According to the dealer, the observed rolling behavior of the CVT gearboxes is considered "normal" and may be attributed to the lightweight nature of the vehicle, resulting in consistent performance. I find this phenomenon to be peculiar. Is anybody else experiencing similar issue with a newly implemented continuously variable transmission (CVT)? It has been reported that earlier iterations exhibited this behavior, but it was not anticipated in subsequent versions.

I currently possess a MY10 A4 B8 CVT vehicle, which I have owned for approximately six weeks. I have observed a similar behavior in my vehicle, which, according to my research, appears to be a common occurrence. I have managed to adapt to this behavior quite effectively. The CVT transmission in my vehicle introduces a slight delay before engaging the gear, as it is not a conventional automatic transmission. Notably, when shifting into reverse, my vehicle tends to roll more, particularly when on a downward slope, before the gear engages. However, I have discovered that by gradually releasing the brake, the rolling motion is significantly reduced. In instances where the vehicle is stationary on an incline and there is a tendency for it to roll backward, I have found that engaging the hand brake is a viable solution. This is due to the vehicle's intelligent system, which automatically disengages the hand brake upon sensing acceleration, thereby preventing any backward rolling.

This contribution is anticipated to provide assistance in addressing the issue at hand. The use of s-mode seems to provide some degree of assistance, hence it may be advisable to consider using this approach. Wishing you the best of luck.

Thank you.

It has been observed that the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) has a limited responsiveness, particularly when using the reverse gear. To execute a gear change, it is recommended to provide a brief pause for the engagement process, followed by the application of pressure to the accelerator pedal. Once it is adequately engaged, it exhibits little slippage.

The present continuously variable transmission (CVT) should exhibit enhanced reliability. Additionally, it is necessary to exercise patience during gear shifting, and adhere to a rigorous maintenance schedule for gear oil change and O-ring replacement in order to enhance responsiveness. Furthermore, the installation of a more efficient air filter, such as the K&N filter, may contribute to improved performance.

One aspect that captivates my attention and elicits a sense of disappointment is the fact that my spouse operates a Nissan Altima Coupe equipped with a continuously variable transmission (CVT). One of the factors that contributed to my acceptance of selecting the Audi CVT was its inclusion in the decision-making process. Nevertheless, it is important to note that the responsiveness and smoothness of Nissan's continuously variable transmission (CVT) much surpasses that of Audi's, which is undeniably disheartening given the substantial disparity in cost. The engagement of the Audi's transmission exhibits a noticeable degree of jerkiness in comparison to that of our Nissan vehicle. The Audi continuously variable gearbox (CVT) has a responsiveness akin to that of a manual transmission. Could it be postulated that Audi intentionally calibrated its continuously variable transmission (CVT) to emulate the characteristics of a manual gearbox? If this is the case, it suggests a lack of comprehension of the U.S. market. It is notable that Audi's approach of expecting consumers to modify their driving style rather than developing a continuously variable transmission (CVT) that aligns with the preferences of their paying clientele might be seen as displaying a certain level of arrogance. Particularly when considering the higher cost. While I have a strong affinity for my Audi, I similarly had a deep fondness for my prior BMW, and it is quite likely that I would have developed a similar sentiment for the Mercedes I had the opportunity to test drive. In order to remain competitive in the future, it is imperative that Audi ensures the accuracy and effectiveness of their actions. I would exhibit some reluctance in considering the repurchase of an Audi vehicle, given the formidable competition posed by other premium companies operating within the same price range. Subconsciously, I harbor a desire for having acquired the 328i.

Kindly provide a VCDs log with the prevailing software versions in addresses 01 and 02.
Several software upgrades have been identified that have the potential to address the issue raised in your complaint.
Kindly include the ECU component number corresponding to the gearbox, as well as the engine code and the respective gearbox code.
Please search for any problem codes related to clutch overheating. As is the case with all continuously variable transmissions (CVTs), there is no torque converter, which may result in creep or roll back.
I would recommend using the park brake feature to facilitate a smooth departure, since an automated release mechanism will be activated when securing the seatbelt.
It is possible that you may not possess knowledge about the functioning of this particular gearbox. I kindly request you to verify if it is classified as a multitronic or S tronic transmission.
Additionally, it is worth noting that the majority of B8 platform drivers express great enthusiasm for the enhanced multitronic system, praising its seamless acceleration.
I have a strong affinity for this particular box, which, when operated with precision, exhibits exceptional performance and surpasses comparable goods from rivals by a significant margin.

I would also propose that your sales representative lacks comprehensive knowledge on this product, leading you to believe it is defective due to a substandard transfer of information.

Could you please clarify your statement? I am unfamiliar with the subject matter you are discussing, however I guess that it pertains to a log derived from the computer system integrated into a certain vehicle or machinery. I identify myself as a consumer, and it is my belief that the original poster (OP) also falls into this category. As an individual without technical expertise, I possess no proficiency in accessing or obtaining the aforementioned log.
I would want to inquire once again about the method through which I may get this item.

The notion of a premium automobile being seen as somewhat absurd is a point worth considering, wouldn't you agree? It is presumed that the subject under discussion pertains to the issue of roll back.

The multitronic transmission system in my vehicle does not exhibit the expected level of smoothness. In direct contrast, it is evident that our Nissan Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) has a far smoother acceleration profile. Once the vehicle reaches optimal velocity, the transmission operates with remarkable fluidity; nonetheless, during initial acceleration, the Audi exhibits pronounced jerking movements.

It is recommended that you visit your authorized Audi dealer and request an assessment of the software update status, specifically addressing the aforementioned concern. Additionally, it is possible that the valve chest may exhibit a problem, characterized by its very smooth operation.

The Audi A4 from 2008 onwards is equipped with an 8K B8 platform.

In order to initiate the release of the handbrake, it is necessary to secure the seat belt and engage the park brake when coming to a stop at a junction. Subsequently, by pressing the accelerator pedal, the handbrake will automatically disengage, provided that the system detects the presence of a fastened seat belt.

The individual from whom I get goods exhibits a lack of knowledge or understanding.

During my recent visit to Cavender Audi in San Antonio, TX for the 5000 mile service of my vehicle, I communicated the details about the logs and software upgrades that were previously discussed in this conversation. However, it seemed that the dealer personnel at Cavender Audi were not familiar with the aforementioned information. The individuals seemed to possess a limited understanding of software updates or the concept of a log. I am really concerned.

Would I have cause for concern if they exhibit a lack of understanding? In the United Kingdom, we own a substantial market for Audi automobiles, which suggests that we are well-informed. Conversely, it seems that the United States lags behind Europe in terms of technical proficiency and familiarity with cars produced by the Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft (VAG) group.

It is strongly advised against purchasing a vehicle equipped with a continuously variable transmission (CVT), as per the author's recommendation. However, Audi is known for producing vehicles that have the Quattro all-wheel drive system.

Continuously Variable Transmissions (CVTs) seem to possess inherent drawbacks, and I personally had a strong aversion against operating vehicles equipped with this transmission type. Moreover, it is evident that a multitude of individuals are now encountering difficulties.