The gearbox of the E350d is now in limp mode, indicated by a yellow warning light.

Greetings, everyone.

My 2020 E350d often has a gearbox malfunction that I am certain is unrelated to the gears themselves. The vehicle exhibits a typical starting behaviour, but after a few period of driving, it maintains the gears at a high engine speed of 3000 rpm before shifting up, even under situations of little strain on the engine. This occurs in all gearbox modes, ranging from Eco to Sport+. Furthermore, I am unable to supersede the gear selection using the paddle shifters. Occasionally, but not consistently, this is accompanied by the yellow engine warning light. When I turn off the car and then turn it back on, it returns to its regular state, and this remains the case 50% of the time. The issue has been increasing in frequency over time. The DPF light is not illuminated.

The Merc repair shop has performed a firmware/software update on the gearbox, but, this action did not result in any noticeable change or improvement. I came across information suggesting that this might potentially be related to emissions, but I have been unable to locate any further specific details on this matter. I would much appreciate it if anybody has any information on this matter. Thank you in advance.

If an EML (Engine Management Light) is present, it indicates the presence of a specific code that might provide first insight into the underlying issue. Undoubtedly, at that particular age, it is still covered by the manufacturer's guarantee.

The described symptoms are indicative of a malfunctioning electrical conductor plate in the gearbox, particularly in older models. However, it is important to note that the vehicle is still covered by the manufacturer's warranty. Therefore, it is advisable to have the dealer address and resolve the issue. Error codes will be present. Are you planning to take it to an authorised dealership?

Thank you for the prompt replies! It is possible that I am misusing the phrase "limp mode" in this context. I am unable to locate any problem code (where would it be displayed?). Although my vehicle is covered by warranty and I am use an official repair shop for Mercedes-Benz, I am rather concerned that they failed to discover and resolve the problem on my first visit.

The codes may be obtained by using a code reader or the MB Star system. The EML serves as an indicator that there is a code to be read, but it is not visually shown inside the automobile. It is time to ensure the reliability and durability of your MB Service Centre or consider finding an alternative one.

The symptoms you are now encountering seem to be indicative of "limp mode," whereby the electronic control unit (ECU) of the vehicle restricts its performance owing to a detected fault. Consequently, the car's shifting behaviour deviates from its usual operation. Therefore, it is possible that the issue is not specifically related to the gearbox. As previously said, after the garage does a diagnostic utilising their scan equipment, it should provide them with information on the specific issue. Once the issue has been resolved, the gears should autonomously change in a regular manner.

To ensure optimal service from the dealer, it is advisable to bring the car in while the fault is occurring. In some cases, these gearboxes may not generate a fault code. Therefore, if the service is performed while the car is running poorly, the dealer will be able to identify that the issue may be related to the electro plate. If the dealer is a reputable one, they will likely remove the faulty electro plate and replace it with a new one, ensuring that it is properly coded to the car.

The potential issue I anticipate is that the exhaust filter is fully saturated, resulting in a decrease in engine performance. This might potentially be an emission problem, as you suggest. If that is the case, then proceed to check out with the garage. Continuing to drive might result in engine damage. I have lately experienced this.
Needed to purchase a replacement filter. The automobile has been restored to its original condition.

I returned because a yellow engine warning light appeared this time. The diagnostic analysis indicated a malfunctioning power system (the specific acronym escapes my memory, but it is unrelated to air conditioning). The experts believe that once this issue is rectified, the gearbox problem will be resolved.

A while back, I had a similar situation where the issue was a fractured turbo boost pipe. It is a frequently seen issue with Mercedes diesel vehicles due to the deterioration of rubber pipes caused by the oil in the intake system. It would be advisable to verify. Furthermore, it is my understanding that a solid yellow check engine light indicates an emissions problem, which may be attributed to several factors such as a faulty turbo or a clogged egr valve. It is difficult to determine without a proper diagnosis.

The yellow light indicates the presence of a defect code, which is not limited to the emissions system.

Intelligent Traffic Control SystemRegardless of the specific model, whether it is an A Class, C Class, GLE, or any other, the warning lights on the dashboard of your Mercedes-Benz will consistently adhere to a colour scheme similar to that of traffic lights:

Green: indicates that the system is functioning well or is actively being used
    Yellow: There is a malfunction - it is important to be cautious and investigate it promptly.
    Red: There is a critical and possibly hazardous issue. Cease driving as soon as it is safe to do so.